If I live off base, how can I find out which school my child will attend and how can I research local school?

Children are assigned to the district in which they live, making it important to research schools before making a housing decision.  Within a 60 mile radius of Edwards AFB, there are over 12 school districts in the Antelope Valley.  The Muroc Joint Unified School District is the District which oversees the schools on base.  Each school district has a webpage where parents can research test scores, school safety, teacher-pupil ratio, and boundary maps posted on the webpage.  The School Liaison Officer has information about local schools and maps of the different district which shows their boundaries.

Listed are school districts surrounding Edwards AFB.  Contact numbers and websites are included:

Muroc Joint Unified School District
17100 Foothill Avenue
North Edwards, CA 93523
Phone: (760) 769-4821
Fax:(760) 769-4241

TUSD : Tehachapi Unified School District
400 South Snyder Ave
Tehachapi, CA 93561
Phone: ( 661)822-2100
Fax: (661)822-2159

Antelope Valley Union High School District
The Antelope Valley Union High School District covers a geographic area from the Angeles Forest in the south, to the Kern county line in the north,www.avdistrict.org/
44811 Sierra Highway
Lancaster, CA
(661) 948-7655

Lancaster School District: Park View School
The Lancaster School District has joined with the City of Lancaster and other local districts in an anti-bullying commitment. www.lancaster.k12.ca.us/
808 West Avenue J
Lancaster, CA
(661) 942-0496

Antelope Valley Union High School District: Quartz Hill High School
6040 West Avenue L
Quartz Hill, CA
(661) 943-4584

Lancaster School District
44711 Cedar Avenue
Lancaster, CA
(661) 948-4661

Lancaster School District: Linda Verde School
44924 5th Street East
Lancaster, CA
(661) 942-0431

Lancaster School District: Sunnydale School
1233 W Avenue J8
Lancaster, CA
(661) 948-2636

Lancaster School District: Lincoln School
44021 15th Street East
Lancaster, CA
(661) 726-9913

Lancaster School District: Joshua School
43926 2nd Street East
Lancaster, CA
(661) 948-0743

Lancaster School District: Joshua School
1555 W Avenue H10
Lancaster, CA
(661) 942-9521

Lancaster School District: Jack Northrop School
835 E Avenue K4
Lancaster, CA
(661) 949-0435

Can I choose which school district my child will attend?

Yes, you have some choice about which school your child attends within California’s public school system.  California schools are required to accept transfer requests from within the same school district and permitted to accept requests from another district.

At what age can my child start school in California?

Students must reach age 5 by the 2nd of December. They can start at the beginning of the school year, but must be 5 by December 2nd.  

What information will I need to enroll my child in school?

  • Original copy of birth certificate
  • Information on last school attended, official withdrawal from last school and academic records
  • Proof of residence (water bill, lease or purchase agreement, housing office letter)
  • Custody or guardianship papers and/or any other court documents
  • Proof of immunizations (shot records)


What are the course requirements for graduation?

To receive a high school diploma, students must fulfill state and district graduation requirements. State-mandated graduation course requirements (the state minimums) follow:

  • Three years of English
  • Two years of mathematics (including Algebra I)
  • Three years of social science (including U.S. history and geography; world history, culture, and geography; one semester of American government; and one semester of economics)
  • Two years of science (including biology and physical science)
  • Two years of physical education
  • One year of foreign language or visual and performing arts

Students who successfully complete Algebra I in middle school must still complete a minimum of two years of mathematics in high school. Recognizing that these 13 years of preparation are state minimum requirements, local school boards often set local graduation requirements that exceed the state-mandated requirements. Beginning in the 2005–06 school year, students must pass the California High School Exit Examination to receive a high school diploma. (Please refer to the Testing section for information on this requirement and two methods of earning a high school diploma or its equivalent: the California High School Proficiency Examination and the General Educational Diploma.


Where can I find information on the process for transitioning a special needs child?


Procedures for Enrolling a Special Needs Student

1.  Contact the school to make an appointment for registration.  Let the school know that your child has an active IEP.

2.  Take a copy of your child’s IEP and Psycho-educational Report

to the school prior to your scheduled appointment.

3.  Take the following with you to your registration appointment:

  • Birth Certificate or Passport
  • Immunization Record
  • Withdrawal sheet from previous school
  • Unofficial Transcript (high school only)
  • Last grade report
  • Proof of current residency
  • Name/Address/Telephone Number of previous school

If you have any questions prior to arriving, please call the school site or the Special Education Office.

Boron High School (Boron, CA) 760-762-5121
West Boron Elementary (Boron, CA ) 760-762-5430
Desert High School (Edwards, CA) 661-258-4411 Ext. 26
Branch Elementary (Edwards, CA) 661-258-4411 Ext. 24
Special Education Office 661-258-4178 Ext. 237
760-769-4821 Ext. 237


What are the state procedures for home schooling?

There are three different home schooling options that are acceptable in California. First, you could qualify your home school as a private school. Utilizing a private tutor is another viable option.

You could also enroll your home school in a private school satellite program. Your child would then be considered being involved in an independent study program.

Finally, you could involve your child in an independent study program through your local public school. This form of at home schooling is officially still considered a public school option.

Read more at Suite101:
What is Required of Homeschoolers in the State of California